The Green Dragon Public House | Hansen & Heidelberg : The Green Dragon Public House

The Green Dragon Public House

3.14.2014


“Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away ere break of day
To seek the pale enchanted gold.

The pines were roaring on the height,
The wind was moaning in the night.
The fire was red, it flaming spread;
The trees like torches blazed with light.

Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away, ere break of day,
To claim our long-forgotten gold."
-The Hobbit J.R.R Tolkien 

We stumbled upon The Green Dragon purely on accident while driving around the outskirts of downtown Murfreesboro, TN. Exploring old buildings and dreaming of all the potential the empty warehouses hold. Honestly, I didn't hold my breath-I expected to be disappointed by a cliche take on The Green Dragon from J.R.R Tolkien's world of Middle Earth. 

+I remember my mom tucking me in bed and reading The Hobbit to me every night before bed. Eventually, as I grew older, it was just me, curled up under the covers, diving into the extraordinary world of Middle Earth. Even now, if I want to escape into a world of intrigue, adventure, romance, and the balance between good and evil, I only need to turn the pages of J.R.R Tolkien. 
+You walk into a charming, cozy, pub; lanterns hanging from the ceiling, to maps of Middle Earth gracing the walls that both cinema and book fans could appreciate. I fell in love with the quaintness of the pub. It felt like I had time-traveled to a public house in the countryside of Ireland or England. 
+We came with our bellies ready to be filled, and I will say my expectations were high because food is a huge deal in Middle Earth. Do I even need to mention first and second breakfast? Our little fellowship ordered a variety from the menu; Turkey Reuben, Tomato Basil Soup, Three Cheese Grilled Cheese, and the Ploughman's Plate. 
+You can't claim to be The Green Dragon without having a thorough selection of Beer! Honestly, this is more of Hansen's expertise than mine. He tried a variety of local beers, while I sipped on the Stiegel Radler (Grapefruit beer). For all you ladies out there who aren't a huge fan of super sweet mixed drinks, or aren't in the mood for a cider, I wouldn't pass up the opportunity to try it! 
+The Turkey Reuben was my favorite by far. I can't help drooling a little thinking about it. They won me over with the Tomato Basil Soup, it was heavenly. It incorporated a creamy texture along with subtitle hints of marinara. The Ploughman's Plate is great if you are looking for a light meal-I wouldn't suggest it if you are expecting to be filled to the belly. 
+After dinner, we tested out a variety of local beers and then moseyed on back to play a few rounds of darts! The atmosphere was surprisingly buzzing for a brand new restaurant and a Wednesday night, but that is just a great example of how cool of a place it is! 
I'm excited to see how The Green Dragon does. They have just begun their great adventure and I can't wait to watch the journey continue...If you are in the area or ever in Middle Tennessee it is worth stopping in! Not to mention, if you are a Tolkien fan, you'd be doing your self a disservice by not stopping in! Of course these are just the humble opinions of one girl, so make sure to try it out for yourself! 
Oh! Make sure you wander to the back to play darts, you'll be pleasantly surprised by a rendition of the entrance of the Mines of Moria.